Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Classics Spin #2


One of the most excited events in The Classics Club is back: Classics Spin! The participants are required to list their 20 to-read classics. The moderators will ‘spin’ the numbers, and whatever the chosen number would be, we are obliged to read the book we have listed under that number by June. As usual, it is between exciting and worrying, haha! And here are my 20 books, most of them are quite ‘light’, because I don’t want to be burden by the commitment.

5 from new authors:

1. In Cold Blood – Truman Capote
2. Inferno – Dante Allighieri
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
4. The Call of the Wild (& White Fang) – Jack London
5. The Trial – Franz Kafka

5 from plays:

6. An Ideal Husband – Oscar Wilde
7. A Woman of No Importance – Oscar Wilde
8. Richard III – William Shakespeare
9. Caesar and Cleopatra – George Bernard Shaw
10. Saint Joan – George Bernard Shaw

10 from books/short stories from my list:

11. Cinta Sejati (Guy de Maupassant’s short stories collection in Bahasa Indonesia)
12. The Canterville Ghost – Oscar Wilde
13. Greyfriars Bobby – Eleanor Atkinson
14. The Jungle Book – Rudyard Kipling
15. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – F. Scott Fitzgerald
16. The Stranger – Albert Camus
17. Kidnapped – Robert Louis Stevenson
18. Gulliver’s Travels – Jonathan Swift
19. Siddharta – Hermann Hesse
20. Matilda – Roald Dahl

And now let me cross my fingers, hoping the… particular number would be picked by the moderators! :)

12 comments:

  1. I forget to put Jack London on my list (so many books pile)
    I see you also put 3 books by Oscar Wilde, I will read The Picture of Dorian Gray (sometimes between this month or next month)specially after seeing the movie. My Gulliver's stuck on the chapter when he describe political and social culture -- so long and confusing, but other than that is quite hillarious :D
    ( I'm hoping we will exchange luck, I get the thin book, you get the 'fat' one hoho )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Actually they're not fat, they're moderate should I say? But mind you, if no. 18 were chosen, you must lend me Gulliver! ;)

      Delete
  2. Kidnapped is on my original Classics List. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I just reread Matilda this week. I love that book! I'm doing the spin too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I haven't read anything from Roald Dahl, so I think I'm going to start with Matilda. Good luck with your spin, then!

      Delete
  4. I love how we all really have one number we hope pops-up! Lol Inferno is excellent (I'm reading Dan Brown's new book, Inferno, no - serendipity!). I really liked the Jack London books, too. Richard III is good and Benjamin Button is really interesting. I loved Siddhartha but wasn't such a fan of Gulliver's Travels. Good list, though - interesting stuff! I hope the Spin is good to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And that's why we like this spin, although we know that in the end we will read all in the list anyway :) Inferno and Richard III are what I expected to pop-up, so.... *fingers cross again*

      I'm relieved you found Benjamin Button interesting, because some people say the movie is much better than the book.

      Delete
  5. Jungle Book is on my list and wish Siddhartha was. Good luck with the spin pick, hope you enjoy it! Here's my Classics Club Spin list if you'd like to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I hope one of us would get Jungle Book with the spin! ;)
      Good luck for you too...

      Delete
  6. Such fun reading everyone's lists. Good luck with the spin and hope you'll love whatever it gives you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?