Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Year in First Lines 2013

I saw this meme in Mabel’s blog, and found it interesting. It is hosted by The Indextrious Reader (although she hasn’t posted it this year yet). The rule is to take the first line of each month's post over the past year and see what it tells you about your blogging year. So here is my 2013 in first lines,

part of A Lady Writing by Jan Vermeer
 [source]

January: “I don’t know why it takes me so long to read one of Ernest Hemingway’s masterpieces: The Old Man and The Sea.”

February: “Of all Dickens’ novel I haven’t yet read, The Mystery of Edwin Drood is perhaps one I’ve been looking forward the most.”

March: “This is perhaps my third reading of Alexandre Dumas’ first installment of D’Artagnan Romances series: The Three Musketeers."

April: “If there is one thing I like most from La Bête Humaine—besides the story and what laid beneath it, of course—it is the beautiful way Zola wrote the passages about La Lison’s adventures.”

May: “If there are books I would love to read over and over again, The Great Gatsby must be one of them.”

June: “Like Dante--‘midway upon the journey of our life/I found myself within a forest dark…’—I too felt like being plunged into darkness when I decided to read a narrative poem of Dante’s The Divine Comedy, end of last month.”

July: “For more than a week I have been delving into Dante’s Purgatorio, and this particular quote has been captured my mind.”

August: “Apparently, War and Peace still doesn’t stop to amaze me till now.”

September: “There are so many plays I had wanted to read for this last freebie month of Let’s Read Plays; but at the end I picked George Bernard Shaw’s Saint Joan.”

October: “After reading Hamlet, I can officially announce that tragedy is my most favorite theme when it comes to plays.”

November: “The saddest moment of hosting an event is…. when you have to end it. :(“

December: “As soon as I read the last line, and closed the book for good, I could only think…how emotional David Copperfield is; it’s much more intense than any other books I have read so far by Dickens.”

I am now reading my last classic for 2013, but have already been eager to start 2014! :)


10 comments:

  1. These are great lines! Maybe I'll try this. :) I also hope to read The Great Gatsby next year, as so many people recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea, because it makes us rewind our blogging progress in the year.

      Delete
  2. Most of my first line will be, "Hi, hi!".. But am interested to create one post like this too. We'll see :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...or perhaps you can skip the "Hi" and regard it as an opening template, so you can pick the full sentence after it. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! It's a blogging journal of sorts, and a cute and fun way of picking up on your blog's yearly "mood", so to speak. I like the flow from one month to the next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it helps me too in rewinding my blogging activities the whole year.

      Delete
  4. I love this meme--it tells me so much about you, what you read, what you like, what your posts are like (I like the chatty, reflective quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. At least it makes me realize how important first lines is...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting your first lines -- I agree that it gives a sense of the whole year in blogging, somehow. Yours certainly shows that you focus on the classics, and get through many, many of them! My own post will be up this weekend -- I'm a bit behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melwyk! The meme is a great idea.

      Delete

What do you think?