Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Black Beauty Visual Tour: A Classics Challenge June

The June prompt for A Classics Challenge is about Visual Tour. Here is the task:

Sometimes we come across a scene or description that creates such vivid imagery it moves us. Select a quote from the Classic you're currently reading and create a visual tour. 

And here are where my imagination has taken me to from the classic I just finished: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. [click the image to enlarge]

"The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it..." ~p. 23



"...Some trees overshadowed the pond, and rushes and water-lilies grew at the deep end..." ~p. 23



"At the top of the meadow was a plantation of fir trees; and at the bottom, a running brook overhung by a steep bank." ~ p. 23



"It was a great treat to us to be turned out into the Home Paddock or the old orchard; the grass was so cool and soft to our feet; the air was so sweet, and the freedom to do as we liked—to gallop, lie down, roll over on our backs, or nibble the sweet grass—was so pleasant. Then, as we stood together under the shade of the large chestnut tree, was a very good time of talking." ~p. 40



"I had been driven with a bearing rein by the dealer, and I hated it worse than anything else (...) You, who never had a bearing rein on, don't know what is is; but I can tell you it is dreadful. (...) I like to toss my head about, and hold it as high as any horse; but you can fancy how it would feel if you tossed your head up high and were obliged to hold it there for hours together, not able to move it at all, except with a jerk still higher; and all this time your neck was aging till you did not know how to bear it." ~p. 46



"Dinah's family lived in a small farmhouse up a green lane, close by a meadow with some fine shady trees; there were two cows feeding in it." ~p. 156



"The winter came in early with the great deal of cold and wet. (...) When it is a dry cold, a couple of good thick rugs will keep the warmth in us; but when it is a soaking rain, they soon get wet through and are no good." ~p. 157

horse cab in rain


8 comments:

  1. Wawawaaaw...like this! Berasa jalan2 di pedesaan Inggris... *ngayal di siang bolong*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...di musim panas, kalau pas winter, kabur saja deh! :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. I still have my childhood copy of Black Beauty although it's many years since I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a book worth of re-reading when you are depressed. The atmosphere in the story is quite soothing..

      Delete
  3. Oh Fanda -- How lovely!! I really enjoyed this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had enjoyed it in the making, too... :)

      Delete
  4. Aw, this is beautiful!! This book is on my TBR. It was my mother's favorite as a kid. I can't wait to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah..I love it too, this is one of few aspects that makes Black Beauty enjoyable to read!

      Delete

What do you think?